Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Downton Abbey Marathon

I spent last evening watching three episodes of Season 1 of Downton Abbey, which was not a bad way to spend New Year’s Eve.

google image

My husband is in the midst of a kitchen cabinet refinishing project during his long weekend off from work, so he chose not to take time away from his project for some New Year’s Eve diversion. We are not very celebratory people anyway, so both of us were happy pursuing our own interests, except for a short five minutes when we stopped our activities to wish each other a Happy New Year!

How I managed to miss Downton Abbey’s airing on PBS is beyond me; I just was not "tuned in" to television programming at the time, I suppose.

With all the rave reviews the program received, I managed to view the last episode of Season 2 late last year. But knowing that Season 3 begins Sunday, Jan. 6, I had some catching up to do.

The mail ordered DVD set of the first two seasons arrived yesterday (After my husband found out I wanted to own it, he ordered it and gave it as my anniversary present). I fully expect to complete my viewing of all six DVDs by Sunday.

Downton Abbey.
Highclere Castle in Hampshire, the UK, was used for exterior shots of Downton Abbey and most of the interior filming.
google image
From Wikipedia:

Downton Abbey is a British-American period drama television series created by Julian Fellowes and co-produced by Carnival Films and Masterpiece. It first aired on ITV in the United Kingdom on 26 September 2010 and on PBS in the United States on 9 January 2011 as part of the Masterpiece Classic anthology.

The series, set in the fictional Yorkshire country estate of Downton Abbey, depicts the lives of the aristocratic Crawley family and their servants in the post-Edwardian era — with the great events in history having an effect on their lives and on the British social hierarchy. Such events depicted throughout the series include news of the sinking of the RMS Titanic in the first series; the outbreak of World War I, the Spanish influenza pandemic, and the Marconi scandal in the second series; and the Interwar period and the formation of the Irish Free State in the third series.

Downton Abbey has received critical acclaim from television critics and won numerous accolades, including a Golden Globe Award for Best Miniseries or Television Film and a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Miniseries. It was recognized by Guinness World Records as the most critically acclaimed English-language television series of 2011, and became the international television series to receive the largest number of nominations in the history of the Primetime Emmy Awards, with twenty-seven in total. It was the most watched television series on both ITV and PBS, and subsequently became the most successful British costume drama series since the 1981 television serial of Brideshead Revisited.

Am I about the only person I know who missed it? And if you've seen it, isn't it great? (at least what I've viewed so far). Public Television programming is about the only thing I find worth watching anymore. I have seen many wonderful programs there over the years. Who can forget Upstairs, Downstairs All Creatures Great and Small, Foyle’s War, Mystery, Great Performances, and oh so many others. May the funding for public television never be put on the chopping block, as is favored by some politicians!

Did you watch the first two seasons of Downton Abbey? Will you be watching Season 3? What are your thoughts about the program?

Will Lady Mary marry Matthew Crawley and  preserve Downton for the family?
google image 

Love, love Maggie Smith as Violet Crawley, Dowager Duchess of Grantham.
google image

What will happen next in the servants' quarters?
google image

Am I the only person I know who missed it? Public Television programming is about the only thing I find worth watching on TV anymore. I have seen many wonderful programs there over the years. Who can forget Upstairs, Downstairs, All Creatures Great and Small, Foyle’s War, Mystery, Great Performances, and oh so many other quality programs. May the funding for public television never be put on the chopping block, as is favored by some politicians!

Wishing a Happy New Year to everyone!

13 comments:

  1. My viewing of DA has been hit or miss. I really like it but it is on at the wrong time for me. (Too late). I think I may need to get the DVD's too. I agree that PBS is about the only worthwhile thing on TV. I must admit I get a bit exhausted with their fund raising tho - a necessary evil I suppose.

    Darla

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fundraising drives can be exhausting, but I'll take them over obnoxious ads on commercial TV any day! I plan to record Season 3 when it begins so I don't have to purchase it, and I may want to watch it again later.

      Delete
  2. You are not the only one who has not seen the series. I am the one.
    I think we have it going/ gone on one of our TV channels, but as I don´t watch TV..
    I guess I don´t wish to be hooked on anything I can avoid.
    Yes, I perhaps miss a lot, but would it make me a happier person, if I had seen it? I doubt.
    It´s far more interesting to read your shortened version and your views.
    HNY 2013: ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not a happier person for watching it, for anything else on TV for that matter. It is just one of those diversions for a cold winter's night; escapism. This series is very well done and the costumes are amazing.

      Delete
  3. I have not seen the series either, having watched the odd episode and not been able to get 'into it'. I know I really should like it because I watch lots of English shows about old country manors, restoration shows, historical etc. Maybe I should buy or borrow the set, and just get stuck into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be difficult to follow all the story lines if you didn't start at the beginning. If you enjoy the type of programs you describe, chances are you'd like Downton Abbey.

      Delete
  4. My husband wants to catch up by watching the first two seasons, so we can watch the third season together Jan 6th. I will be surprised if he makes it through the first one, but he is a fan of Sherlock Holmes and that makes him familiar with the Edwardian Era, so maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it's not a "man" program, is it? But I'll keep my fingers crossed that he'll watch it with you; mine did not!

      Delete
  5. Period soap opera.....will not say more as I don't want to upset Julian's American fans...... Ida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know us Americans, Ida: always fascinated by any programs depicting the British class system or royalty -- two institutions we don't have and aren't familiar with how things "work" in that world.

      After watching six episodes I somewhat agree with you (I am beginning to tire of the endless search for a suitable husband for Mary; the meanness of the footman; Lady Cora's wicked maid. But I do love castles and that time period is fascinating to me.

      Delete
  6. Thank heaven for PBS. Without it as a reminder that the whole world has not fallen off the cliff when it comes to media entertainment and kept some dignity about them.
    wow!!! How old-fashioned does that sound? I have not watched any of the English serials because if I like it then it does mean I would want to schedule around it because I do not have Tivo and I do not like TV to be my scheduler except for Project Runway. That is the only show I make sure I am available and other than that it is hit and miss and I feel like I do not really miss anything!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point and I won't go out of my way to watch hardly anything; in fact I hardly watch anything on TV at all except news. But I try to keep an eye on what PBS airs as they have some excellent programs.

      Delete
  7. I have to agree with ida on this one :-( though I still like to watch it for the costumography, scenography and a superb cast of actors. As for authenticity I do prefer BBC productions, they are much less frivolous/dramatic

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...