Monday, January 7, 2013

15 Ways to Relieve Dry Itchy Winter Skin

dermatologycentral.typepad.com

Winter brings with it dry, itchy skin due to low temperatures, low humidity and strong, harsh winds. Dry air from furnaces and other heating sources also suck moisture out of skin, depleting skin of its natural lipid layer, which keeps it from drying out.

I've been researching what the experts say is the best cure for dry, itchy or flaky skin. Some of these I've used successfully, while a few are new to me. I’m sure you've heard of most of them as well. But sometimes we need a reminder, which was the case for me and I’m getting out the humidifier tonight!


webmd.com

  • Stay in the shower 10 minutes or less; consider showering less, alternating with a sponge bath.

  • Use lukewarm, not hot, water. The same rule applies to hand-washing.

  • Use a soapless body wash.

  • Before drying off, rub baby oil or mineral oil over your skin.Coconut, avocado and olive oils also are recommended.

  • After drying off, use a thick cream; if it comes in a pump bottle, it isn't thick enough. Lotions are not thick enough and often times are more irritating to your skin. 

  • Exfoliate affected areas weekly. Moisturizer is much more effective on properly exfoliated skin.

  • Get a humidifier for the bedroom; keep door closed so the moist air doesn't escape. A room heated by a furnace can have as little as 10 percent moisture in the air.
  • Consider taking fish oil pills. New studies show omega-3 fish oil pills may soothe super dry skin. Patients who took fish oils pills, in a study reported in Allure magazine, saw significant results within a few weeks.
  • Drink lots of water. Dry skin is the result of lack of water in the body.
  • Eating almonds can help to retain moisture in the skin (who knew?)
  • Itchy Scalp? Massage it. Encourage extra oils in your scalp by brushing hair daily (See? Just like your mother taught you to brush your hair every night!). Concentrate on the scalp.
  • Apple cider vinegar on dry skin areas can cure dry itchy skin.
  • For dry, cracked feet: Cover them with a thick moisturizer, wrap  in plastic wrap and pull  on a pair of socks for a couple hours. The same treatment can be done on hands, except try plastic bags and keep hands in a pair of socks. A half-hour should do.
  • If you have super sensitive skin, consider avoiding rinsing your face with tap water, which can contain harsh minerals that are especially drying. Instead use a cold cream to cleanse your face or use bottled spring water.
  •  Vaseline works wonders. It’s not a high-end pampering product, but Vaseline works great on my itchy skin during the winter months.
forluminousskin.com



There were numerous other remedies I found which I know that realistically I will not try. For example, I won’t apply honey to my skin and leave it on for half an hour; neither will I be giving myself a banana or yogurt facial.

But with an increased water intake,the use of a humidifier and keeping my skin adequately moisturized, I’m hoping to beat this winter itchy skin syndrome.

How about you? Do you have a remedy for winter itchy skin you’d like to share?

9 comments:

  1. Because we live in a warm climate, I have been surprised and confused when I have suffered from this itch when on holiday in sub-zero temperatures. I thought it was some sort of allergy. Your post is very interesting and gives me a better idea of how to treat the problem in future. As always, you are a fount of useful information, Sanda!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The itchy winter skin can be so miserable and I'm glad you don't have to worry about it unless you travel to colder climes. This morning I slathered my entire body in mineral oil and AFTERWARDS read some of the pros and cons. I think it's OK to use it, although the "natural cosmetic" companies say it's bad for your skin; clogs pores; skin can't "breathe" and release toxins. I don't think I'll use it again; just stick with my body cream.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing the remedies. I itch too. Not surprising, as hopping in from the warmth to the cold and back to the warmth of the interiors again.
    I take quick showers and use a cream on my body afterward from top to toes.
    So much useful information, I´ll start trying with the almonds, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The almond treatment is the easiest for me because I LOVE almonds. And walnuts, which I eat every day instead of taking Omega-3 pills. I don't drink as much water in winter as in summer, so am making a concerted effort on that one. In past years my scalp has itched in winter, but so far this year it has not, just my mid-section.

      Delete
  3. Tahnks for the info. I have not had the problem until this year and never yse any kind of creams on my skin but now looks like I will have to use some heavy cream that I have in a jar that I have not used and eat even more almonds. I like that idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GRRRR!!! Please excuse the mis-spelled words. I need to slow down and re-read my comments before I send. I always think I have typed correctly but evidently not!!!!!

      Delete
    2. So this is the first year you've been bothered by itchy winter skin? You've been lucky so far. I'm thinking the use of the humidifier is going to make the biggest difference for me, as it's the heat that's removing the moisture from the air.

      Delete
  4. My skin has a tendency to be dry to begin with and is worse int he winter. Never heard of the benefits of fish oil or the almonds. Will have to give them a try. I have a hard time giving up hot water - I like a hot shower.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy hot showers as well, especially in winter. But I'm really trying to tone the water temp. down to see if it will help. I find the Vaseline treatment on itchy spots to be one of the best remedies -- for me at least.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...